Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Off Scantronic 9448
The Fire And Security Installer Community > Public Forums > DIY Alarm Installers
Bakdar
Hi
Moved into a house just over a year ago which had an alarm fitted but have not used it.
Yesterday, the external alarm started intermittently sounding and after a number of these the noise gradually subsided and sounded more like a squeaky car fanbelt! (No faults showing on system)
With my limited knowledge I suspect either a system fault or dead battery. However, I not interested in fixing the system, I just want to completely turn the system off to stop upsetting the neighbours.
To do this, is it just a simple matter of disconnecting the mains and removing the battery backup from the control panel? Or is there anything else I should be doing?
AlarmGuard
QUOTE (Bakdar @ Jun 1 2009, 12:03 PM) *
Hi
Moved into a house just over a year ago which had an alarm fitted but have not used it.
Yesterday, the external alarm started intermittently sounding and after a number of these the noise gradually subsided and sounded more like a squeaky car fanbelt! (No faults showing on system)
With my limited knowledge I suspect either a system fault or dead battery. However, I not interested in fixing the system, I just want to completely turn the system off to stop upsetting the neighbours.
To do this, is it just a simple matter of disconnecting the mains and removing the battery backup from the control panel? Or is there anything else I should be doing?

As I'm sure you will understand, as this is a security related site we don't give out advise about how to disable a security system.

.... let's face it, how do we know who you are ... or who else could read the same info.
Bakdar
Okay, understood. How about if I ask a different question?

How do I stop the external alarm at the front of the house from randomly going off when the alarm is not set? FYI - the external alarm at the back of my house makes no sound when the front alarm plays up.
RJBsec
QUOTE (Bakdar @ Jun 1 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Okay, understood. How about if I ask a different question?

How do I stop the external alarm at the front of the house from randomly going off when the alarm is not set? FYI - the external alarm at the back of my house makes no sound when the front alarm plays up.

1. Callout local alarm engineer.
2. Get out extension ladders and remove bellbox from wall, plunging (bellbox, not you) into keg of noise-proofing material.
Bakdar
Flippancy does not help.....

If the stock answer is going to be 'call an alarm engineer' - what's the point of having a DIY forum?!?!
RJBsec
QUOTE (Bakdar @ Jun 1 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Flippancy does not help.....

If the stock answer is going to be 'call an alarm engineer' - what's the point of having a DIY forum?!?!

Actually flippancy often does help in dealing with some of the posts here - but other than doing what I suggest, what do you suggest?
I often ask myself what is the point of having a notice on the forum saying that defaulting information will not be given out, it seems quite pointless because people still come here thinking that they have the divine right to get defaulting information ... or some magic code that solves all of life's problems.

The answer is ... get an engineer out or Do it Yourself by getting a ladder out!
Hammer
in answer to your rather blunt question Bakdar - to help DIY'ers.

What you ask is not allowed as per the site rules (12.4) - http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/Content/rules.asp

In addition a reminder is at the top of all sections of forum - http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...;f=113&id=8

As it says "to avoid offence please do not ask".

In light of the above the advice you have been given in your DIY situation is correct not flippant as you accuse nor systemic of the advice given to DIY'ers.
If you take the time to search you will see this is so.

C.
DR10
The diy forum is to aid people trying to fix, repair or install a system. It is not there to help people disable them.
Im sorry you think we should but im glad we dont.

I would also advise you reconsider disabling yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.